Sunday, October 17, 2010

Do I look like a turnip that just fell off the turnip truck?

I am most regretful for not being able to post recently, School and work have been taking their toll on me, I'm pretty sure I'm becoming an insomniac too--I got ONE hour of sleep last night-- and i feel as if my job is my life now. I eat live and breathe party city, however come payday on Friday I'll get around 300 dollars. I. Am. Stoked. Today I'm happier than a hick at a monster truck rally about having the day off. I plan to play Starcraft for a solid 3 hours after this, but first I must must must praise the pot pie I made at my Papa's this weekend.

I can honestly say Sunday was the first time i had ever eaten parsnips or turnips, doing so was a most excellent choice. I discovered I am a big fan of root vegetables--even without meat.




There was an earthy flavor to them which was mellowed out by the thyme and sage, and the lemon juice gave it a needed hint of acidity which cut the starchiness [for lack of a better term] of the roots. In addition to that, the choice of using a biscuit topping as opposed to a crust boded well for me, deliciousness.


Root Veggie Pot Pie:
-6 tbs. butter
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1/2 onion, chopped
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-2 large carrots, 1/2" dice
-2 good size turnips, 1/2" dice
-3 parsnips,1/2" dice
-1 tsp. thyme
-1 tsp. sage
-1 tsp. paprika
-1 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. pepper
-4 tbs flour
-2/3 c. milk
-Biscuit dough

Preheat hotbox to 350F


In a large sautepan, heat the butter and lemon juice over medium heat (until butter is fully melted.) Add in the onion and garlic: saute for five mins. Toss in the carrot, turnip, parsnip, thyme, sage, paprika, and salt && pepper. Cover and sweat for 10-15 mins, or until the vegetables are barley tender. Uncover. Stir in the flour--continue to stir and cook for 5 mins. This formed my roux. Grab a whisk and whisk in the milk, do this until the milk has thickened and is not lumpy.


Pour into a pie pan or ceramic dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 mins. Uncover and continue to bake for an additional 20 mins, or until the biscuits area a appealing golden brown.






Tomorrow at Tech Center we're going to the pumpking patch so there will be various pumpkin flavored recipes up soon. I love pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment