Friday, October 8, 2010

Oh Snap!

It has been a long week. I've been sick and tired and working and dealing with school. I crashed and burned. Yesterday I had to miss an AP History timed essay, passed out at my Dad's apartment, and then went to work for 5 hours, two of which I had to be outside in a full body--including huge skull mask--jester costume. when i came back in my braids were completely soaked with sweat. Having said that I worked the hell out of that corner. I didnt go to school today, meaning i missed Tech Center. Oh well, I still cooked delicious food tonight anyway.

Random, non food related Shenanigans: My older cousin Sydney came over for my mama to take her senior portrait, and were ended up playing Tatsunoko vs Capcom, which is an epic fighting game with characters from both Tatsunoko and Capcom games [DUH!] Its like the game Tekken, except on drugs. After that Mama, Syddy, and I met up with my Aunt Jo, Uncle Stachy, and younger cousin Alyssa at a mexican restraunt. Syd took it upon herself to make a napkin mustache and beard for herself.

One of the many reason I love my family. That's my little side anecdote for the day.


Okay back to food, where was I? Mars perhaps? Ah yes now i recall, I prepared a cheesy orzo.


It tasted pretty good, I mean cheese can make any kind of pasta even better. It was quite simple too, all i did was cook the orzo till it was aldente, reserved two tablespoons of the hot pasta wtaer, melted in 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter and about a cup, more or less, of a mixture of shredded asiago, cheddar, and colby jack cheeses. I also added in a tsp of paprika, salt, pepper, and then finely chopped some fresh rosemary . I served it with cherry tomatoes and some parsley for herbal freshness.


Blahblahblah, what I really want to talk about is the plum tart i made. utterly fabulous. The tender crust had a light hint of vanilla that just flirted just enough on my tongue to cause it to swoon. The caramelized golden-orangeish flesh of the plums melted in my mouth like a pool of a sweet yet tart, warmly spiced, heavenly-ness.

Plum Tart
Dough-
-1 1/3 c. flour
-1 tsp. salt
-1 1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 c. brown sugar
-4 tbs. butter
-1 tsp vanilla
-5-8 tbs water

Topping-
-4-5 plums, sliced into about 1/2" slices
-1/2 c. brown sugar
-3 tsp. cornstarch, more if the plums are juicier
-1-2 tsp. cinnamon
-1/2 tsp. nutmeg
-1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375F

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Using 2 knives, cut in the butter in a criss-cross direction. Do this until the butter is absorbed into the flour in pea size balls. Stir in the vanilla, then stir in the water, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough just combines. Use your hands to form a ball of dough. Keep in the fridge for at least 30 mins.

Meanwhile, toss the plum spices in a bowl with the remaining ingredients; make sure the slices are evenly coated.

In a greased spring form pan, press the dough into the shape of the pan, don't make high edges.
Use a fork to press some holes in the dough, brush with an egg-wash or melted butter. Bake with nothing on it for 10 mins.

Take the crust out of the oven and arrange the plum slices in a circle by laying them on one another.Bake for a final 20-30 mins, or until the flesh of the plums becomes a radiant orange, and the crust in golden and tender.

Take out and enjoy the fruit of you labor. [pun intended.]

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment